Canvas Frequently Asked Questions
What is Canvas?
- Canvas is a Learning Management System (LMS) that is powered by Elsevier. Think of it as your Blackboard, which you use for online classes, but for your nursing classes on campus.
- You do assignments, it grades them, and your grades are submitted to your instructor.
How do I sign up for an account?
- Your instructor will send you an invite to join Canvas. Use an e-mail address that you don’t have problems logging into, whether it’s a personal e-mail or your Fortis provided e-mail.
- If you haven’t received an invitation to your email from Canvas Instructure, please contact your instructor or Academic Advisor Tara Garrett. Once you click on the Canvas invitation link, you will be asked to create your account.
I never received my Canvas invite.
- Check your spam folder. It should come from Canvas Instructure.
- You can also search all of your inbox to find the e-mail.
- If you still can’t find it, another invite can be sent to you, just ask your instructor or Academic Advisor Tara Garrett.
What is Evolve?
- Evolve is a resource hub powered by Elsevier. All of your resources on Canvas are purchased by the school through Evolve.
Do I need an Evolve account?
- Yes, otherwise you will not be able to access your online books for your nursing classes. Simply go to evolve.elsevier.com and sign up for an account.
- Use the same e-mail address as the one you used when you signed up for Canvas. If you already have an Evolve account, when you register your Canvas account, use the same e-mail.
How do I reset my password for Canvas?
- Simply click on the ‘forgot my password’ link and an e-mail will be sent to you from Canvas Instructure with a link to reset your password.
- If you haven’t received an e-mail, make sure your registered e-mail for Evolve is the same registered e-mail for Canvas. If it isn’t, update that on Evolve.
I know I am putting in the right password, but it keeps saying my username or password is incorrect for Canvas!
- First, check to make sure the website you are on has the URL: canvas.elsevier.com
- If this is not the URL that is showing up, you are on the wrong Canvas website.
- If it still doesn’t work, try switching to a different Internet browser (e.g. using Internet Explorer instead of Google Chrome).
- If this still doesn’t work, delete your browsing history and cookies. If you do not know how to do this on Google Chrome, visit here. Once you delete your browsing data and cookies, refresh the page and try to log in again.
What do I use to do my NCLEX questions?
- For NCLEX questions, you will need to use Saunders Comprehensive Review for PN/RN Examination, 7th edition, which is listed under Core PNR/RN Resources in Canvas.
- When you first sign onto Canvas, you will click on your program name (either NUR or PNR) and you will be taken to the main 'modules' page where your core resources are listed as well as your course numbers.
What do I use for my case studies for class?
- You will use HESI PN/RN Case Studies with Practice Test. The link to this resource should be listed under your course number in Canvas (e.g. NUR 104, PNR 106).
I keep clicking on the links for my books and nothing happens.
- For your NCLEX and Case Study tools, you will have to click on the gray bar that says ‘Load Tool in New Window.’ If you do this and nothing comes up, check to make sure the pop-up blocker is disabled.
- At the top of your search bar (where the website URL is located), there should be a rectangle with a red ‘x’. If you click on this, there should be an option to ‘always allow pop-ups.’ You will want to choose that option.
- Afterwards, try clicking on ‘Load Tool in New Window’ and it should load.
It says I need an access code.
- If you are a new student, you will receive your own unique code for both Saunders and HESI from either your instructor or from Tara Garrett.
- If you are a returning student coming into a different nursing program, you will receive a supercode that will allow you access to both of these books.
My access code isn’t working.
- Make sure you are typing it in correctly. Everything is uppercase. Once you put in your access code, press ‘submit.’ An Evolve screen may pop up that asks to update your information, if this does, just click on ‘I am not affiliated with an institution’ and press ‘continue.’ Another screen may pop up where you have to agree to terms and conditions. If this happens, scroll all the way down on the terms and condition box until the 'I Agree' button turns a dark blue. After this, you will have to press the ‘redeem’ button on the next page and your resource will begin to load.
- If your access code still doesn’t work, it could be expired, and you will need to contact Tara Garrett to obtain a new access code.
Do I have to enter an access code every time?
- No. The access code is one-time use. After you redeem your access code, it will always take you straight to the resource after you click on the resource link.
How do I do my NCLEX questions?
- When you load Saunders Comprehensive Review for PN/RN Examination, 7th edition, there should be a button on the bottom that says ‘Continue.’ Once you’ve pressed that, a screen will pop up with three columns.
- In column one, you want to find ‘Exam Mode’ and select the amount of questions that you are required to do.
- In column two, you will want to press ‘Content Area.’
- In column three, you will want to choose the category. For example, if you are taking a Fundamentals class, you will choose the category ‘Fundamentals.’
- If you look at each category, there is a triangular arrow next to each category. If you click on that, it will expand the category into many subcategories.
- Your instructor should let you know what types of NCLEX questions to do/subcategories to choose.
I’ve completed my NCLEX questions, what do I do now?
- Once you’ve completed your questions, there should be a button on the bottom right that says ‘Print Results.’ Your instructor will only need page one which has your full name, the amount of questions that you answered, and your overall score. They do not need the complete breakdown of each question that you answered unless requested.
My instructor wants the results as a PDF, how do I do that?
- Check the guide available in the Learning Resource Center or visit here where the document is listed.
I was working on my NCLEX questions but never finished them, do I have to start over?
- No. Once you load Saunders Comprehensive Review for PN/RN Examination, 7th edition, there should be a button that says ‘History.’ This is where your sessions will be stored. It will say whether it’s in progress or completed as well as the date and time of each session. Click on the correct session and you can resume where you left off as well as print results if you already completed your questions but did not have access to a printer.
How do I find my case studies for class?
- Your syllabus should have a list of all the case studies that you have to do for your class. Open up HESI PN/RN Case Study with Practice Test.
- Once you are in the HESI Preparation Suite, on the left side of the page, click on ‘My Resources.’
- From there, find your course number’s folder e.g. NUR 104, PNR 106.
- Once you click on your class folder, click on ‘Case Studies.’ A list of all of your case studies for that class will show up.
My case studies for my class are not showing up.
- Talk to your instructor. Your instructor will need to make the case studies visible for students.
My case study grade was not submitted to my instructor. What do I do now?
- If you go back to your ‘My Resources’ tab in the HESI Preparation Suite, click on your course folder, and find the case study that you already completed, once you click on that case study, your grade should pop up again. It should not make you retake your case study if you have already completed it.
- The instructors have a grade spreadsheet that exports the new grade each time a student finishes a case study. You do not need to print off your own results unless it’s for a portfolio or your instructor specifically requests it.
Where can I find simulation admission tickets?
- On the LRC Website, there is a page under the ‘Need Help?’ tab called ‘Simulation Tickets’ that has links to admission tickets. If you click on the admission ticket, it will download a Word document that you will print off. If you do not see the correct admissions ticket on there, please notify Pauline Hamblin, Simulation Lab Director.
Which resource do I use to find my patient's chart for Simulation Lab?
- Under Core PNR/RN resources, there should be a resource titled Simulation Learning System RN/PN 2.0. Click on that and click on 'load tool in new window.'
- In the table of contents, click on SimChart for SLS and find your patient's names. Once you click on their name, a box will pop up. Click on 'start pre-simulation.' The info panel on the left side will have all of the information that you need.
- Your instructor should tell you which charts that you need. Usually you will need their History & Physical as well as Provider Orders. Their general information should be at the top of the pre-simulation that lists their height, weight, age, and biological sex. The SBAR or Patient Report is available in the main Home page of Canvas.
- Find the group that is titled [Your Course Number Simulations]. There will be a list of each simulation patient and a direct link to the report.
My instructor says I need to print off a skills performance checklist. Where do I go?
- In Canvas, find Clinical Nursing Skills & Techniques, 9th edition. Click on 'Load Tool in New Window.' Click on 'Student Resources.' Click on the chapter that you are on in class.
- Once you click on the chapter, there should be a link on the next page that says 'Skill Performance Checklists.' Your instructor should tell you which skills checklists to print off.
- To print them off, click on the skill (s) that you need and click on the printer icon in the PDF that pops up.
Where do I go for my Kaplan Focused Review Tests for class?
- Kaplan Focused Review Tests are not done on Canvas. You will need to go to kaptest.com to complete your test. Tara Garrett will give you your log-ins for Kaplan. If you haven’t received yours yet, notify her.
- If you forget your password, you can contact customer service at 1-877-572-8457.
I just took my HESI Exit Exam. Are my results posted on Canvas?
- No. You can access those by logging into evolve.elsevier.com and going to 'HESI Assessment.' Your test results should show up once you click on your exam.
- Your results should show up 24 hours after taking your exam. If they do not show up, contact your instructor first and then Elsevier at https://evolve.elsevier.com/education/contact-us/.
- When you do your remediation, make sure you do it in Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox. Always do your remediation in one tab (meaning, you will open up one item in your study packet and close off of it once you're done reading).
- If you are inactive for 20 minutes on the page, your time will not record, so make sure to frequently scroll or move the mouse. Only your instructor can see your remediation time, so please be sure to contact your instructor should you have questions about your remediation time. T
- o create your own focused review test for remediation, visit kaptest.com. For remediation case studies, visit canvas.elsevier.com.
- Check the Learning Resource Center for a print copy of how to do HESI remediations or download a copy here.